Background

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

grace

Our Sunday School Class has been studying the topic of "grace" all summer. I thoroughly enjoyed the first 6 weeks, which was learning about God's grace. I have been very challenged by this lesson. My mouth has a tendency to get me in a wee bit of trouble sometimes! Honestly, the filter is much better than it used to be, but there is that occasional slip up, ok MOST of the time it is deliberate act of disobedience.

The last month has been on the study of "gracism". The author of this study defines gracism as putting a "g" on the front of racism "as the positive extension of favor on other humans based on color, class or culture". Honestly, I have disliked this study every week, but it has really opened my eyes. The biggest struggle I am finding is with different classes and by that I mean personalities that are different from mine. People that I am drawn to, I treat with respect and give them my attention. Unfortunately it was pointed out to me the other day when I was lacking grace.

My husband and I were at a social gathering where there were a lot of people we knew, but hadn't seen in quite a while. There was one person specifically that when I saw coming I tried to keep my head down, hoping she wouldn't come over! My husband knows her from a different circle than I do. It isn't that I dislike this person, but she is just very different than me and frankly gets on my nerves! I tried very hard to have a polite conversation with her, but I really wasn't enjoying myself and tried to find a quick exit.

I thought I had handled the situation pretty good, I made eye contact, I asked questions, you know all the polite things. Then my husband says to me in the car, "I take it you don't like ________ very much?"

I respond with, "Why would you say that?"

Answer: "Because you seemed to be blowing her off?"

I had been caught! And humbled I might add. This person was very nice to me, she complimented my children, she also told a funny story about how she found out Kevin and I were getting married, but instead I was concentrating on getting rid of her.

All because she is different than me. I think the reason I have hated this lesson so much, is that I still have sooo very much to learn by it.

"God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it" 1 Corinthians 12:24

I failed at honoring this person. She is a very giving woman, but all I can concentrate on was the flaws I saw. Shame on me!

2 comments:

  1. Dude: the HS is clearly at work in your life that you SEE this stuff (black and crusty, even) in your heart. Awesome! :) Love you lots, weirdo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't it great that we serve a God that NEVER gives up on us!!!!
    have a great back to school time, Juli.
    ;0)

    ReplyDelete